Updated: Apr 21
In Episode 33 of the Power Your Platform Podcast, I share a conversation with a talented young woman who has taken her gifts and passions and is helping to amplify the voices of speakers and storytellers everywhere in her own unique way.
Laura Hanek is an illustrator and graphic recorder who launched her own business called Swoop Media in 2018. Using graphic recording, design and illustration, Laura helps her clients work through problem-solving and structuring information in a way that's easier for everyone to understand.
Laura is a military spouse who was looking for a business she could take on the road with her. A self-described “nerdy rebel”, she loves curling, green tea and knows a shocking amount about poultry for someone with an applied arts degree. She splits her time between keeping her kittens from destroying her office and bringing her chickens on Zoom calls with her at everyone’s request.
Here are my Top 10 Takeaways from today’s interview:
1. Always believe in yourself and your dreams.
2. Be willing to try new things and stay open to new opportunities.
3. Be a sponge and learn all you can when you discover something you love to do.
4. Combine your passions together when creating your own life path.
5. Look for new ways to excite and engage your audience.
6. What we love to do as children tells us a lot about who we are.
7. The human brain responds differently to visual communication.
8. Infographics help us understand complex subject matter.
9. Surround yourself with other women who inspire you.
10. Flexibility and variety are two upsides of being your own boss.